Let's Pretend This Never Happened: A Mostly True Memoir

Let's Pretend This Never Happened: A Mostly True Memoir - Jenny Lawson Jenny Lawson’s Let’s Pretend This Never Happened: A Mostly True Memoir, is an irreverent, deeply funny collection that remains reflective and illuminating within its outrageous anecdotes. The episodes from Lawson’s experiences betray a person who embraces the absurdity of life and who is not afraid to address personal tragedy and challenges by poking a probing finger in them, despite the pain that might occur. The author begins by describing her unique origins and upbringing- filled with financial, social and mental struggles that are rendered hilarious and border on the unbelievable. Lawson’s description of how she met her husband and his acceptance of her “individuality” is touching and revealing. She battles her own fears and social anxiety – cautiously learning to trust and accept others into her life: first her husband, then a cherished child and eventually true friends. I sped through this book, laughing out loud the entire time. When I reluctantly finished reading it, it was with a sense that I really had become acquainted with the author and I felt privileged to have been allowed this peek into her wonderful, imaginative mind.